September 15th 2014 |
LADWP officials held a meeting on Wednesday night at 6:00 P.M. at the Library to discuss the details of their Pipeline Replacement Project. Their handout is attached.
To summarize the information:
- The recent water main breaks have been caused by corrosion of the iron pipes on the 200 blocks of Courts B, C, D and E and the portion of Grand Canal Court which forms the “T” at the end of each of those courts. The iron pipes will be replaced with plastic pipes with corrosion protection on the outside.
- Construction will be on one court at a time and will take approximately 3 weeks per court. The project will start on Court E on October 6th. See attached for a list of starting dates.
- The work hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 PM. There is no access to the court during work hours. Steel plates will be used to cover the area after work hours.
- Residents can use the court before 8:00 A.M. and after 4:00 P.M. only. Dell Avenue will be open. Equipment will be on the court where the work is taking place and will be removed in the evening.
- All emergency services, trash collection service and utility services will be notified.
- Arrangements will be made for parking in the Venice Boulevard lot.
- DWP is responsible for water service up to your water meter. If necessary, your service line will be repaired.
Please see the attachment for more specifics.
Both the VCA and the VOC will email the DWP’s update on the project (every 2 weeks) to their email membership lists.
May 21st 2014 |
Thanks to Michael Town for the pics!
April 24th 2014 |
The Friends of the Venice Library proudy present the new book launch party for FOVL member and Venice resident Joan Del Monte and her new book
MURDER – REDRUM
A PALINDROME MYSTERY
High in his outrageous apartment over a brewery, a stock market genius plots four simultaneous bank robberies at one intersection. The police receive four alarms and ignore them thinking it has to be an error. The genius codes his plans with palindromes to hide them.
Come join us for the reading and book signing on
WEDNESDAY, MAY 7, 2014 AT 6:30 p.m.
Jon David Waldron Community Room
Venice-Abbot Kinney Memorial Library
501 South Venice Blvd.
Venice, CA 90291
January 15th 2014 |
VCA Annual General Membership Meeting
Monday, January 27, 2014
Please join us at 6:30 PM for a Wine & Cheese Social, followed by the General Meeting.
Please note we have a new venue this year:
Marina City Club
Galaxy Ballroom, 4333 Admiralty Way, Marina del Rey [map]
Complimentary Valet Parking
Meet our Councilperson Mike Bonin at the Wine and Cheese Social!
If you wish to run for a Board of Directors position, please notify us at email@example.com
or call 310.301.6223 and leave your contact information on or before Friday, January 24th.
The first meeting of the newly elected Board will take place on Monday, February 3, 2013, at 6:30 PM.
- Only General Members in good standing may run for a seat on the Venice Canals Association’s Board of Directors. As per 2004 Amendment to VCA By-Laws, and for purposes of continuity, Board seats are staggered in 2-year terms.
- If you are not currently a general member and would like to become one, please visit our website at www.venicecanalsassociation.org and download a membership application.
We look forward to seeing you on Monday, January 27th!
NOTE: We distributed flyers that list the incorrect date at the bottom. Monday the 27th is the correct date.
November 17th 2013 |
We are delighted to announce our most popular tradition:
The 32nd Annual
Venice Canals Holiday Boat Parade
Sunday, December 15
This year’s theme is “It’s A Wonderful Life”
Parade will begin 4:30 pm at the corner of Eastern & Sherman Canals
Pre-registration for boat parade entries is a must to be eligible to win prizes. Info to follow soon.
For further information, or if you have a boat that you will not be entering and are willing to lend it to a neighbor; or you need a boat to enter;or you want some advice or help on how to decorate a boat; contact Sandy Berens at (310) 463-3323.
Light up your home and canal for the
Best Dressed Homes & Bridges Contest
Judging for the Home & Bridge Decorating Competitions will be
Saturday, December 14th
Winners will be announced at the beginning of the Parade on the 15th.
November 4th 2013 |
Lots of spooky little critters arrived for Canalloween this year, full of tricks and treats and pizza. Here are some of our favorite pics:
Flickr API error: SSL is required
November 1st 2013 |
Several months ago, the Venice Canals Association applied for and was granted Community Improvement Project funding from the Venice Neighborhood Council for the purchase and planting of 205 new Saltbush Plants (Atriplex Lentiformis Breweri). The Atriplex serves as a city required safety barrier, and is placed along the water way in lieu of any fencing.
Mariposa purchased the plants recently and have been waiting for the right time to do their planting. The plan is to start the work during the last few weeks of October. Initially, Mariposa will care for the new plants.
If you have these new plants in front of your home, you can help with their success after the initial phase by digging a small narrow trench adjacent to the sidewalk. This will allow you to water during the dry periods without having the water run into the canals. Fill the trench with water periodically (at least weekly) depending on the weather.
Thank you to the Venice Neighborhood Council for approving the funding for this important environmental safety barrier planting project. We hope that all canal residents join us in protecting and nurturing these plantings.