January 5th 2013 |
- DOGTOWN SANTA: Jessica Beeman
- BABY SANTA KONG & THE STRAY CAT ELVES: Steve Gato
- STARRY NIGHT: Mark Galanty
- TWISTER: Michael Konter
- STAR TOURS: James & January Arnall, Kent Hayward & Lissa Hurchalla
- SANTAS STARRY SLEIGH: Margaret Baelter
- SS DOGTOWN: Mark Hruby
- CAT IN THE HAT CLEAN UP CREW: Owen Hills-Klaus
- TWINKLE TWINKLE: Mary Territo
- THE JEW CREW: Lori Shapiro
- P’S GREEN BOAT: Imogen Harbinson-Frith
- 422-424 Carroll Canal: Lindsay McKay & Matthew Gitlin
- 408 Sherman Canal: Teresa Vega
- 446 Sherman Canal: Carol Cassella
Honorable Mention 446 Carroll Canal Jim & Barrie Kaufman
- Linnie near Grand Canal: Katherine Hollis & Christine Binns
- Grand Canal at Sherman: James & January Arnall
- Sherman near Grand Canal: Darryl DuFaye & Friends
Honorable Mention Eastern at Howland Ct Frankie & Peter Bergman
The Venice Canals Association would like to thank everyone who participated in this 31st Annual Holiday Boat Parade by decorating homes, boats and bridges and also Sandy Berens’ fearless parade committee: Renee Kaplan, Dave & Toni Mannix, Paul & Jose Scibetta, Nadine Parkos, Irv & Trudi Puskin, Jon Schacht, Deb Kaufman, Maggie Bright, Victor Hammer, Michael Towne, Claudette Shores & CJ Cole.
And the local restaurants that donated prizes:
- 26 Beach: 3100 Washington Blvd – 310-823-7526
- Baja Cantina: 311 Washington Blvd – 310-821-2252
- C&O Cucina: 3016 Washington Blvd – 310-301-7278
- C&O Trattoria: 31 Washington Blvd – 310-823-9491
- Café del Rey: 4451 Admiralty Way, MDR – 310-823-6395
- Canal Club: 2025 Pacific Ave – 310-823-3878
- Canali Café: 123 Washington Blvd – 310-822-5379
- Cheesecake Factory: 4142 Via Marina, MDR – 310-306-3344
- Danny’s: 23 Windward Ave – 310-566-5610
- Gjelina: 1429 Abbot Kinney Blvd – 310-450-1429
- Islands: 404 Washington Blvd – 310-822-3939
- James Beach: 60 N Venice Blvd – 310-823-5396
- Joni’s: 522 Washington Blvd – 800-792-5750
- Pasta Factory: 425 Washington Blvd – 310-823-9838
- Shanghai Red’s: 13813 Fiji Way, MDR – 310-823-4522
- The Terrace Café: 7 Washington Blvd – 310-578-1530
- Tony P’s: 4445 Admiralty Way, MDR - 310-823-4534
- Wabi Sabi Sushi Bar: 1635 Abbot Kinney Blvd – 310-314-2229
2012 Boat Parade and Bridge & Homes Decorating Contest Winners (printable PDF)
November 16th 2012 |
Several years ago, the Venice Canals Association (VCA) began our Shades of Protection Project which involved the installation of a shade sail system in Linnie Canal Park. This project is designed to provide shade over the swing area and is funded by donations from the community and matched by a grant from the City’s Community Beautification Program.
As with any City-sanctioned project, there have been many starts and stops but we are happy to announce that all the necessary permits and funding are in place and we have the go-ahead to proceed with the shade structure.
During the shade project approval process, the Los Angeles Department of Recreation & Parks determined that the almost 20 year old play equipment should be updated to current code requirements and soft matting under the equipment should be installed as it is safer and cleaner. The City will be doing this work at the same time that the shade structure is installed.
The shade sail system work is being done by Courtyard Construction Co. under Los Angeles Building & Safety Dept. Permit No. 12010-20000-00856, while the updated park equipment is being done by the LA City Department of Recreation & Parks.
PLEASE BE ADVISED that the park will be closed as of November 19, 2012, for approximately 5 weeks while the shade system is being installed and the park is being renovated and updated. During that period of closure, we suggest that you try the children’s parks at both Penmar Park and in Playa Vista.
We have been told that Dell will remain open to traffic at all times but there will be construction equipment in the area and we do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
We want to especially thank Councilman Rosendahl’s Office and the Department of Recreation and Parks for all their help in making this happen!
Thank you for your patience and understanding. If you have any questions or concerns, we ask that you kindly contact Mark Galanty (310-749-5534) or call the VCA at (424) 229-2VCA.
November 14th 2012 |
Just came across this article from The Hollywood Reporter on trendy Venice. We share this not just because it’s interesting but because the VCA’s Row-In Movie Night gets a mention. Enjoy!
Venice Spotlight: Is the Coolest Neighborhood in L.A. Overheating?
from The Hollywood Reporter:
November 12th 2012 |
We are sad to report that Henry Colman passed away yesterday. Henry was not only an accomplished and respected television producer; he was also a long-time resident of the canals and very active in the community. He served as president of the Venice Canals Association for many years, and at the time of his passing was a Director Emertius for the VCA.
We’ve been informed there will be no funeral, but have heard that for those who like, you can make a contribution in Henry’s memory to the Archive of American Television, Television Academy
Foundation. Cards of condolence can be sent to Donna Colman, Henry’s wife, at 423 Linnie Canal.
We in the canals have lost a wonderful neighbor and a dear friend.
Henry Colman, at the Internet Movie Database:
Interview with Henry from the Archive of American Television:
The Television Academy Foundation:
Archive of American Television
5220 Lankershim Boulevard
N. Hollywood, CA 91601
November 1st 2012 |
From Canalloween 2012, posted by on 11/04/2012 (18 items)
Generated by Facebook Photo Fetcher
Also, Catherine Hollis has lots of great pictures on her Facebook page she has offered to share. Thanks, Catherine!
August 11th 2012 |
This year: “Jaws”, screening Saturday, August 25 at 8pm
Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water! The Venice Canals Asssociation is screening “Jaws” Saturday, August 25 at the Linnie Canal bridge on Dell. Festivities start at 8pm, with a couple of short features, followed by “Jaws”. Bring your boat or your chair and join in the fun!
July 19th 2012 |
Thanks to all who attended this year’s Fourth of July BBQ Potluck and Downwind Regatta! Below are the winners of the day’s contests:
- 1st: Julius Lariurecht “Beast” (#3K)
- 2nd: Serena Revelins & Zoe Chernov “Australia II” (#14K)
- 3rd: Melissa, Jack, & Emma Galanty “No Name” (#2K)
- 1st: Brooks Pressman, Zac Brodney, & Joey Kaufman “The Voyager” (#5A)
- 2nd: Lucas & Nicole Haimes “The Fiasco” (#2A)
- 3rd: Pierre Schlumberger “Superteam Ninja Awesome” (#3A)
- 1st: Phillip Lord and Irene Neuwirth
- 2nd: Kristen
- 3rd: Berta Borin
CRAZY HAT CONTEST
- 1st: Massimo, Red, White & Blue Very Tall Hat
- 2nd: Eva, Blow Your Mind (human brain)
- 3rd: Sophia, Butterfly Hat
The VCA wants to extend a very special “Thank You” to all the many volunteers who made this event such a great success!
July 11th 2012 |
From 2012 Fourth Of July Downwind Regatta & Rubber Duck Race, posted by on 7/11/2012 (80 items)
Generated by Facebook Photo Fetcher